In an effort to incorporate Robotics into K-8 classrooms, MaST is integrating Lego Robotics into Elementary and Middle School. The LEGO WeDo program will be used in Ms. West’s Technology class for students in grades K to 6. Designed for the elementary learners, WeDo is a cross-curricular learning tool that challenges students to build LEGO models featuring working motors and sensors. The students then connect them to a computer and use a simple programming tool to program behavior. Working through a series of theme-based activities, students will develop skills within science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, as well as language and literacy.
Reasons to integrate into curriculum:
- Hands-on, engaging lessons.
- Students learn by doing.
- Cross-curricular lessons.
- Fosters creativity and imagination.
- Student-driven and customizable.
- Immediately see results of the work that is completed.
- Prepares students for STEM-focused careers.
- Teaches complex computer science, engineering, mathematics, and science concepts.
- Brings a real life application to learning.
- Teaches troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Requires students to collaborate and work as a team.
- Aligned to Common Core Standards.
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Time Management
- 21st Century Skills
- Writing & Reading Skills