Title 1 & McKinney-Vento Act
What is Title 1?
Title 1 is the largest federally funded program for private and public schools in the nation. The Federal Government disburses funds to each state, and the state Department of Education releases those funds to local school districts based on the number of families within the district that fall below a set level of income.
The goal of the Title 1 Program is to provide additional instructional services to students who qualify. Parent Involvement is a component of the program. Thus, MaST will be hosting several educational workshops and/or information nights for parents on a variety of topics. These events will be posted on the school calendar, on the MaST website.
Who/What is Funded Using Title 1 Funds?
- Parent Workshops
- Classroom (teaching) assistants
- Parent Involvement
- Highly Qualified Staff
- Professional Development for Staff
For questions: please contact the school Federal Programs Coordinator, Angela Koenig.
267-348-1100 ext. 1166
The goal of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act is to ensure that each homeless child or youth has equal access to the same free, appropriate public education.
You may qualify for certain rights and protection under the federal McKinney-Vento Act. If you live in any of the following situations:
- A shelter.
- A motel or campground due to lack of an alternative adequate accommodation.
- A car, park, abandoned building, bus or train station.
- Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship.
As an eligible student you have the right to:
- Recieve a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school or continue attending your school of origin, if that is your preference and is feasible.
- Recieve transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
- Recieve educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your needs as a student.
If you think you may be eligible, contact our school Homeless Liasion.